Pages

Friday 17 February 2012

Awakening.


I woke up this morning to see my phone almost at the end of its life. I got up at once and started running around like a hooligan in search of my charger to prevent my phone from dying. But alas, I was a second too late and ended up rebooting my phone (For those having a  blackberry as slow as mine, will know how tedious it is)
After an impatient time spam of fourteen minutes, my baby phone finally came back to life. To my horror,  I realised that my messages and my blackberyy messenger had conveniently gone missing. The initial shock of losing one hundred and seventy six contacts fastened my heartbeat and increased my pulse rate. I grabbed my laptop to untie this knot of fate and after forty five minutes of intense research and fanatical brainstorming, google.com blessed me with a software which could restore my contacts.
*pheww*
I instantaneously downloaded the sublime software and was just about to click on the "Restore my contacts" button when my scruples started shrieking and roaring, pinching my conscience and churning my brains.
"This can be a blessing in disguise" , said my inner voice.
"You must be kidding me. How can not having your contacts be a blessing?", said the angry me.
"You had a life, before you had a blackberry" said the inner me.
"I don't have time this. I am getting late. Shoo. Go." Said the real me as i pressed the restore button.
I got dressed for work, snatched my dabba from mum, placed my phone in the pocket, hunted for my charger, grabbed a novel which i never really bother to read and hurried to work. I jumped in the 11.27 fast local like a ninja  and made myself comfortable in whatever little seat i got. I removed my lovely blackberry curve 3G from my pocket and *click*
I looked around apprehensively only to realize that every two eyed person in that god forsaken compartment was glued to their hi-tech expensive phone messaging someone or the other to kill time.  So now we message people to kill time ? Seriously ? In no time, I caught myself, red handed, in the real sense of the term doing the very same thing. On ususal days, i considered my self,  inordinately talented to be handling so many people at a time. But hello ? People are people. Not things.
Idon't know when and how calling got replaced my messaging and meeting got replaced by chatting. The personal touch to relationships faded and I became a slave to technology.
Those days when calling a person was the only way of long distance communication, now, seems so much more meaningful to me. (Keeping the pain of writing letters aside ofcourse, that is a different issue altogether by itself)
Those days when people used to read the newspaper during heavy travelling hours and made train friends and discussed stuff like rising petrol prices and cribbed about power cuts and minimal water supply , now, in some very varied way seems beautiful to me. It connected different individuals from divergent backgrounds having distinct ideas to form a close circle of acquaintances who knew petty little day-to-day details of each other. Special no? Yes. All this ofcourse before we became slaves to BBM and whatsapp and instant messaging and turned so self absorbed that we wouldn't bother what the world is upto.
Seven Friends at a diner table seem to be messaging atleast three people each because the ones right in front of you are not valued as much as those on your whatsapp list are.
Yes I am back with my messenger and whatsapp, google talk and three email IDs configured on my phone - but this time out of want and not out of need. I am not tied anymore.I am no more a slave of my phone.





2 comments: